Friday, April 15, 2011

Breaking Out The Flip-Flops



It is my favorite time of the year…. the warm weather is here. For those of you that didn’t suffer through the winter that “wouldn’t end”, you probably never put your flip-flops away. For the rest of us, it has been a long wait. Today was the day I rescued them from their hibernation in the back of a dark closet. I dusted them off and slipped them on with great joy.


Unfortunately my feet are hardly flip flop ready. I have gotten the occasional pedicure over the last few months, but except for that, I have virtually ignored my feet. I wonder just how much you attention you pay to the care of your feet? Probably not a lot and no…buying shoes for them doesn't count.


Our feet are the whipping boys of the body. For every mile we walk 200,000 to 300,000 pounds of stress bears down on our tootsies. By the time we’re 50, most of us have walked 75,000 miles. That’s a lot of pounding for two narrow islands of 26 bones and more than 30 joints. Considering this, I've decided that my feet deserved a little respect.


Why not start with a nice soak. In doing some online research I came upon an ingredient I remember my Granny using to soak her feet….Epsom Salt. Epsom salt is made of the mineral magnesium sulfate. When magnesium sulfate is absorbed through the skin, such as in a bath, it draws toxins from the body, sedates the nervous system, reduces swelling, relaxes muscles, and is a natural emollient, exfoliator, and much more. Apparently my Granny knew what she was doing. Fast-forward to the 21st century and here is a brilliant way to begin a “new foot” ritual. Experts recommend that you soak your feet three times a week.


1. Use a large container that is big enough to fit both of your feet comfortably in and be adequately covered by water. Fill the container with warm water. Make sure to use enough water to cover the feet and a bit of the ankles.


2. Add 5 or 6 tablespoons of Epsom Salt to the warm water and gently stir with your hand to thoroughly mix the salts and the water.


3. Add a few drops of any essential oil you love to create a spa like experience by incorporating the sense of smell. I used Peppermint oil today and it was yummy.


4. Soak your feet for 15 minutes in the oil infused water.


5. Gently dry the feet with a small hand towel and apply your favorite lotion.


I guarantee not only will your feet begin to look better they will feel great. Stay tuned for more tips for the feet in the coming days.


BTW Epsom Salt can be found in drug and grocery stores.


Talk soon!


Bizzie Buzz


-xoxo-

No comments:

Post a Comment